“Miracle cells” – they can be used to rejuvenate and prolong life. However, among experts there are supporters and opponents of cell therapy. The latter believe that stem cells cause cancer. So what do they represent really? Let’s face it.
What are stem cells?
These are cells which we all have, they are responsible for restoring the damage on the body. Most of them in the umbilical cord blood of the newborn. With these cells, physicians are struggling with more than 70 diseases such as leukemia, infertility, arthritis, diabetes.
When the stem cells began to be used?
The first time the Russian scientist drew the attention of the medical community on stem cells in 1909. In the 70s the elderly members of the Politburo of the CPSU Central Committee made a “vaccination of youth.” And the first transplant was made in 1988 — the patient with anemia the child has entered the cells from umbilical cord blood.
How do you get stem cells?
From the body of an adult or embryo:
- from adipose tissue (e.g. during liposuction) is extracted embryonic stem cells. They treat burns, diseased joints, diabetes, disruption of the spinal cord;
- from bone marrow, peripheral and cord blood are hematopoietic cells. Those restore hematopoiesis and immunity;
- fetal cells are extracted with abortion in the period from 9 to 12 weeks from the embryo. They eliminate liver cirrhosis, neurological disorders. Doctors argue about this method because of the unethical. But here’s the problem: the illegal drug market in Russia. And even the Orthodox Church has opposed, because in Christianity it is believed that the embryo has a soul.
That are treated with stem cells?
Among the most serious:
- multiple sclerosis;
- the effects of stroke;
- trauma to the spinal cord and brain;
- Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s;
- myocardial infarction;
- heart failure;
- autoimmune disease;
How is the treatment?
Stem cells are injected in the following manner:
- intravenous is the easiest way to spread cells throughout the body;
- directly in the damaged area. For example, in joints or in the treatment of diabetic foot;
- intramuscularly into the affected region for patients with muscular dystrophy;
- in the spinal canal to restore connections between neurons of the spinal cord;
- in region retrobulbar (behind the eyeball) as close as possible to the optic nerve and retina, to better attain the injury.
Contraindications are almost none, but each patient needs to obtain the approval for the surgery from the medical Board.
And is it safe?
Scientists have not proved the complete harmlessness of cell operations. In the United States and Denmark found that stem cells cause cancer. So they yet cannot be considered safe. But they have chances to become a powerful cure everything with further research. Scientists continue to study this issue.
See how to cure painful joints by using stem cells, we can plot our program