Dizziness, palpitations, tremors, unfounded fear that you’re going to die… Tell what to do if these symptoms are familiar to you.
What was it?
A panic attack is a very strong panic attack, which is necessarily accompanied by physical reactions: increase in pressure, sweating, chills, shortness of breath. The man turns pale, his hands shaking, he may even scream, fall, hide in a corner. Panic attacks manifest themselves much brighter than just fear: often patients report that they are afraid in these moments to go crazy.
Sometimes there is a state of derealization and depersonalization: the person has a feeling that everything is happening in a dream. Own body is perceived as a stranger, he seemed removed from the world. Bodily symptoms often manifest so much that the patient begins to seem like he was dying. This condition can last up to 30 minutes.
According to various sources, this disorder affects 1 to 5% of all people on Earth. But in fact numbers can be much more – just not all with the same problem are turning to the doctor.
Why does this happen?
A panic attack is the body’s reaction to danger is actually there. Something like a false alarm. That’s why the nervous system may give this error:
- Chronic stress;
- Emotional burnout;
- Psychological trauma;
- The alcohol and drug abuse;
- Hyper parents in childhood, the belief in the danger of the world, the inability to accept their own negative emotions;
They are pretty easy to treat: in 70% of cases the improvement comes after the first session of psychotherapy. 90% of patients getting better after the second visit.
Sometimes panic attacks appear due to different diseases, and require the examination by a cardiologist, neurologist and endocrinologist.
Is it possible to do this without a therapist?
Mental disorder is not fiction and not a sign of weakness. These are the same diseases that should work professional. You’re not going to treat a broken leg by willpower, right?
What to do if someone close to me have a panic attack?
The main thing – do not laugh at the fears, don’t blame it and not devalue feelings. Do not advise “just go”, and “pull yourself together” – it is useless. Better tell that panic attacks can be cured and gently convince them to seek professional help.
But if panic attack has already begun?
Here are some tips:
- Follow the breath. Hyperventilation causes even greater anxiety and shortness of breath – you will find yourself in a vicious circle. In the first seconds of the attack try breathing into a paper bag or folded in a Cup the palm of your hand. The breathing should level off and slow down.
- Switch. Don’t think about the panic, try to concentrate on the things you were doing before the attack. Does not work? Then just count from 100 to 1 or talk to loved ones about random topics.
- Do not give in to thoughts about death. The feeling that you are dying or going crazy – it’s just an illusion. After a few minutes the attack is over.
Panic attacks – a typical disorder of the inhabitants of large capital. What danger threaten your mental health, read the article “How not to go crazy big cities”.