Large supermarket chains in Germany such as Aldi or Rewe milk have taken products from the trade, in which the bacteria Aeromonas hydrophila/caviae may be. The contamination was found during routine checks, according to the dairy company, DMK Group and the company Fude Serrahn.
There are a number of varieties of fresh low fat milk (Here you find an Overview of all the contaminated milk products). The most important questions and answers to the pathogens in the Overview.
What is the bacterium Aeromonas hydrophila is?
In the case of Aeromonas are rod-shaped bacteria that typically live in fresh and brackish water. The bacteria have a wide temperature tolerance of 1 to 45 degrees Celsius. Thus, you can defy both fridge temperatures, as well as easier to heat, but die when Heated.
What infections can cause the bacteria?
A person infected by contaminated water or contaminated food, can stomach the bacteria in both children and adults to intestinal disorders. Possible wound infection also, if the bacteria takes about an incision in the body. This is when the milk is extremely unlikely.
In the case of stomach diseases may occur in the Extreme to two different forms:
- watery diarrhea or
- bloody, slimy diarrhea.
In General, the gastrointestinal infections are so easy that no drugs are required. In people with a weakened immune system, however, even severe disease have been described gradients with Sepsis.
How can I be infected with the bacteria?
Infections can be triggered by contaminated water or food made with the contaminated water in contact. In the past, among other things, by oysters and other seafood, eggs, salad, fish fillets or worm infections.
In addition, you can be infected also, if the kitchen hygiene was not respected and it is prepared with a cutting Board salad, where raw, possibly contaminated fish has been located.
“It is very unlikely that people infecting each other,” said Stefan Schmiedel, infectious disease Loge at the University hospital in Hamburg-Eppendorf. A danger only if healthy people don’t wash after using the toilet, the hands, and so, where appropriate, with the patient excreted bacteria in contact would come. “And even then the bacteria would have to reach in the mouth,” says Schmiedel. “Wash your hands or disinfect protects.”
2015 Doctors of the hospital of Bremen described the middle of an Aeromonas infection due to leech treatment. In the case of the patient, the leech had led to a massive wound infection.
How often infection with the bacteria in Germany?
In Germany the bacterium occurs only very rarely as a water germ. Accordingly, Aeromonas lead to significantly less frequent food borne infections than Salmonella or bacteria of the type Campylobacter. Even vacationers who have been infected in another country, are rarely the causative agent in itself, as in 2003, an evaluation in the US showed.
How could the bacteria in the milk?
The water-germs had entered through a defective seal at the production plant in the milk, how the dairy MIRROR said request. Thus, the defective machinery has been replaced in the meantime and the production after a cleaning and a test run resumed.
What do I do if I’ve been drinking the affected milk?
The products can cause “adverse health effects, such as diarrhea,” warns the company in its recall. Anyone who has bought the milk, should you drink in any case and back even without a receipt the money. Who drank, however, the milk already, and symptoms observed, one should, as a precaution, consult a doctor, and the possible connection with the milk.
“The incubation period can be between one and eight days,” says infectious disease Loge Schmiedel. “Who has a good immune system, however, can expect a benign course of the disease.”
How are Aeromonas treated infections?
The infections can be treated with antibiotics. It is also important to look at cases, to the fact that the body is adequately supplied with liquid.
In the past few days, there has already been multiple recalls of food products, the consumer should be aware of:
- Toast bread, which is sold through the stores of Aldi – due to plastic particles
- Sausage products of the Hessian meat manufacturers Wilke – due to Listeria infection
- Raw milk cheese from the French manufacturer, Le Moulis – due to bacterial infection
- “K Classic Apple juice” from the country of purchase-product range – because of bursting bottles